This smoothie has become our family’s favorite–we drink one every single day! I typically use fresh (mature) kale from our community garden, but what’s great about the “tropikale” smoothie is its flexibility. When we ran out of kale this week (gasp!), I replaced it with some mixed baby greens (kale, chard, and spinach–pictured below), and it tasted just as yummy.
We are going through so much kale lately, that we’ve decided to plant some on our balcony. We picked up the seedlings yesterday at the Farmer’s Market and will plant them later today. Zander loves the idea that these are “baby kales” and is excited about planting them. But back to the smoothie. Here’s how to make it:
1. Start with a blender completely full of kale and/or other dark leafy greens, then smoosh it down until it’s pretty firmly packed to make room for the other ingredients.
2. Add about 1 Tbsp of golden flax meal, 1 Tbsp of Dr. Schulze’s SuperFood Plus powder, and 1 Tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil.
3. Next, peel 3-4 satsuma oranges (I like these best, because they are seedless) and drop them in whole.
4. Add 1-2 frozen bananas.
5. Add frozen pineapple and mango chunks, to taste.
6. Your greens will now be smooshed even further down from the weight of the fruit, like this:
7. Finally, add 1-2 cups of fresh almond milk and/or water. (Coconut milk is also really yummy and adds to the tropical taste!)
8. Then blend, and voila!
9. This makes just the right amount for Alex, Zander, and me (Alex’s is not pictured below, because he was already drinking it). And it’s a wonderful breakfast to grab and go when you’re ready to head out of the house and start your day!