This pudding has become our new favorite dessert! It is sooo easy to make–4 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time–and the payoff is huge, both taste-wise and nutritionally. I found this recipe on Weelicious, and we make a vegan version as follows:
VANILLA CHIA SEED PUDDING
2 cups vegan milk (soy, almond, coconut, etc.)
1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar (I prefer the richer flavor of the maple syrup)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chia seeds
Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl (or you can just stir them together in a large measuring cup as pictured below). Then pour equal parts into 4 small glass dishes, secure the lids, and pop into the fridge for a few hours. I usually make this in the morning during breakfast prep, and by dinner time it is perfectly creamy and delicious! Once it has sat for a few hours, it will have the consistency of tapioca pudding. Yum!
Zander loooooves this pudding, and I feel great about feeding it to him, because (as I mentioned in an earlier post) according to the back of the chia seed package, these little nutritional powerhouses contain:
– all essential amino acids,
– 16% complete vegetable protein,
– 100% or more Omega 3s than salmon,
– 6 times more calcium, 11 times more phosphorus, and 4 times more potassium than milk,
– double the amount of free-radical fighting antioxidants found in blueberries, and
– 6 times more iron than spinach.
Tonight will be our third time this week to enjoy this yummy treat!