Even after eating a blueberry Cliff Z-Bar and 2 whole bananas while at the grocery store just before lunch, Zander gobbled down his entire plate of food in about 5 minutes flat, so I know it was a big hit!
Here’s how to make the tasty little sandwiches (I’m making note of this here mainly for myself, so I’ll remember to repeat it in the future):
1. Lightly toast two slices of whole grain bread (enough to warm them slightly).
2. Spread a generous layer of vegan cream cheese on one slice of bread.
3. Spread half of a large ripe avocado on the other slice of bread.
4. Thinly slice one ripe roma tomato and layer the slices on top of the avocado.
5. Sprinkle the tomatoes with a bit of coursely ground sea salt.
6. Assemble the sandwich and cut into fourths.
For the side salad, I just diced up another roma tomato and tossed it lightly with some homemade balsamic dijon dressing (including lots of garlic and fresh herbs). Zander will eat almost anything drizzled in this dressing.